UK LIFEGUARD DOG
SOURCE: AP TELEVISION NEWS
RESTRICTIONS: HORIZONS CLIENTS ONLY
1. Various of Lifeguards sitting on viewing platform with Bilbo
2. Close up Bilbo
3. Surfer riding wave
4. Various, Bilbo and lifeguard Mark Lee doing swimming exercises in water
5. SOUNDBITE: (English) Steve Jameson, Head Lifeguard, Sennen Cove
"There are no swimming tests for dogs as such in this country yet. Maybe there will be in times to come, but we set our own tests for him. IE he had to be able to swim out through at least two foot of surf, he had to be able to swim a certain distance with one of us swimming as well. But he'll swim all day anyway, they're renowned for their swimming abilities these dogs."
6. Tilt down from close up of Bilbo's head to his feet
7. SOUNDBITE: (English) Steve Jameson, Head Lifeguard, Sennen Cove
"Well we trained him up to recognise when somebody is panicking and shouting for help and waving. When he sees somebody in this manner he'll go straight into the water right away and swim out to the casualty. We've got a harness on him when he comes down to the beach to do these duties, and on to the harness we'll attach a Petersen Tube, or buoyancy aid, and he'll go out into the sea with this on, swim out to the casualty and rather than go straight to the casualty he'll go round the casualty bringing that tube close to them. And when he feels the weight of them clutching the tube, when he feels that weight come on he knows then that he's got to turn round and head back to the beach. And he does it remarkably well I must say."
8. Bilbo watching as lifeguard runs into the sea for lifesaving practice
9. Lifeguard swimming through water
10. Bilbo waiting on beach with Steve Jameson
11. Lifeguard calling for help
12. Bilbo running into water
13. Bilbo swimming out through waves and towing lifeguard back to beach
14. Bilbo running from water with buoyancy aid
15. Beach seen from lifeguard's hut, pan to sgn on hut
17. Tilt up sign reading "BILBO SAYS SWIM BETWEEN THE FLAGS"
18. Close shot, Bilbo on poster
19. SOUNDBITE: (English) Mark Lee, Lifeguard, Sennen Cove
"Bilbo's really helped us this summer just for getting our message across because our job is ninety per-cent education, its not all about just going in and doing rescues, and we're continually telling people, going around asking them if they're aware of the flag system we operate on the beach. Thats where Bilbo's really good because he's got all the information written on his jacket and once you get the message across to the kids that it. The kids are telling their parents, telling relations, brothers and sisters. And its just been probably the easiest summer we've had for educating people with him in the team."
20. Head Lifeguard Steve Jameson putting jacket on Bilbo
21. Bilbo and Steve walking off viewing platform
23. Bilbo and Steve mounting quad-bike and heading down to beach
24. Close shot, Bilbo on back of quad bike
25. SOUNDBITE: (English) Steve Jameson, Head Lifeguard, Sennen Cove
"I just had this idea that if I had a safety -jacket, or a jacket made for him with safety messages on it for people to swim between the red and yellow flags and suchlike, then people would pay far more notice of him than they would of any sign. "
26. Various, children stroking Bilbo
UPSOUND: (English) Steve Jameson, Head Lifeguard, Sennen Cove
"This is Bilbo, he is three and a half years old.. twelve and a half stone, he is a big New Foundland swimming dog and he is here to tell you to swim between the red and yellow flags. That's what it says on his coat, so when we go into the sea we should swim between the red and yellow flags and then we will all be safe.. yeah. "
30. Wide shot of beach with flags
LEAD IN :
You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/2a6be25d40ec1373e2ae53c3468e1e61
Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork